Port operator fined £300,000 over worker death
Posted: January 30, 2016
Posted in: Employer Negligence Workplace Injuries
Port operator, Clydeport has been fined £300,000 at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court following the death of 22-year-old worker Craig Logan in February 2015. The operator pleaded guilty to several breaches of health and safety laws, including failure to make risk assessments and ensure safe working practice. These led to Mr Logan being crushed to death on a crane at a coal terminal in Hunterston, Ayrshire.
Mr Logan had gone to inspect the unloader crane cab when it had stopped working. It was revealed that Clydeport had failed to ensure that the cab was electrically isolated so that it could not unexpectedly restart. They also failed to provide equipment for workers to communicate with each other.
Clydeport also plead guilty to failing to provide equipment that meant that workers would not have to physically move the cab in the event of a breakdown. They were found guilty of failing to assess the risks to human life should the cab either become stuck or falling from the boom.
At the hearing it was revealed that, ironically, a safety assessment was due to take place on the day following Mr Logan’s death. The company had been operating without a qualified risk assessment engineer for around eight months, as well as a health and safety manager, and according to Sheriff Shirley Foran, the company “knew they were thereby exposed”.
Clydeport, who have previous convictions for breaches of health and safety, have apologised to Mr Logan’s family and have assured the court that improvements have been implemented to avoid future workplace accidents.
Have you been injured at work in Aberdeen?
If you’ve suffered a personal injury from an accident in your workplace, you could be entitled to claim compensation. We can help you make a no win, no fee* injury claim today by calling 01224432776 or using our contact form. We offer no obligation advice, so there’s nothing to lose by investigating your claim.
« Many streets in Scotland over air pollution limit
Four patients test positive for Hepatitis C after using Ayrshire dentist »