Six-figure payout for man left disabled by E Coli contracted on holiday
Posted: March 2, 2016
Posted in: Accidents and Sickness Abroad Food Poisoning Restaurant Accidents
18-year-old Bradie Perkins from Earl Shilton, Leicestershire, has just won a six-figure compensation pay-out after being left with disabilities following the contracting of E Coli whilst on holiday in Turkey in 2010. Bradie, who was 13 at the time, contracted a potentially deadly strain of the illness, which has left his kidneys functioning at “two-thirds” of their normal ability. The illness was allegedly caused by poor food hygiene at the resort in which his family were holidaying.
Could not fulfill his ambition of joining the navy
Mr Perkins’ family were staying at the Holiday Village Turkey in Sarigerme, and booked through tour operator TUI UK Ltd. The tour operator settled the claim just weeks before the trial was due to start. He was rushed to hospital when he started to experience stomach cramps, severe diarrhoea and dehydration. He was found to have a parasitic infection called giardiasis, and a kidney disorder called haemolytic uraemic syndrome, meaning that he could not fulfil his ambition of joining the Navy. He was one of 27 people to become ill at the hotel at the time. Other claims were settled in 2012.
His family claimed that food hygiene at the resort was very poor. They claimed that food was often left uncovered and exposed to flies, cats and other insects. They said that sometimes the food was undercooked and that cold food was often used again and topped up with hot food.
Bradie commented on his disappointment at having been unable to join the navy, and stated that he was having to completely rethink his future. TUI UK Ltd stated that they have a policy of not commenting on settlements.
« New motion passed allows hospital inspectors to close wards
£11m spent on under-5s treated in A&E for injuries at home »