Worker blinded in one eye after being struck by wiring
Posted: December 3, 2014
Posted in: Head and Brain Injuries Workplace Injuries
An Edinburgh-based company has been fined after one of its employees was struck in the eye by a piece of wire that left him blind in one eye. 20-year-old Declan Shipcott, from Alexandria, was working for Viridor Enviroscot at its Glasgow-based materials recycling facility when the accident happened two years ago.
It was heard at Airdrie Sherriff Court that Mr Shipcott had been helping two colleagues clear a blockage in a machine. The wire cutters he was using allowed a piece of wire to bounce and strike him on the face. He was unfortunately not wearing any eye protection when the workplace accident happened.
It was heard that the company had failed to distribute, or ensure the use of, personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses for work of this type. Following the incident, Mr Shipcott had to undergo surgery to remove the damaged lens and re-attach his retina.
£14.2 billion paid out to injured workers
Viridor Enviroscot pleaded guilty to breaching health and safety regulations. Following the case, HSE inspector Aileen Jardine said: “The simple act of donning eye protection before working with high-tensile wire may well have prevented this incident taking place.” The injuries have been life-changing for Mr Shipcott.
According to HSE statistics, 2013/14 saw 133 workers killed at work, alongside 78,000 injuries reported under RIDDOR and 629,000 injuries recorded by the Labour Force Survey. Around £14.2 billion was paid out as a result of injuries at work.
Have you been injured at work in Aberdeen?
If you’ve suffered a personal injury from an accident in your workplace, you could be entitled to claim compensation. We can help you make a no win, no fee* injury claim today by calling 01224 980 625 or using our contact form. We offer no obligation advice, so there’s nothing to lose by investigating your claim.
« Upset over c. diff deaths from hospital outbreak
Six-figures for family of worker killed in garage accident »