Seven E.coli cases linked to burgers served at the Glasgow Hydro
Posted: January 31, 2014
Posted in: Food Poisoning
Seven people have fallen ill with the potentially fatal ‘E.coli O157’ infection, which health officials believe could be linked to the food served at The Hydro. NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said that an investigation is currently underway, but recognise that the burgers sold at The Hydro seem to be the common source. All those infected — one from Glasgow, two from Lanarkshire, three from Lothian and one from Cumbria — are currently recovering at home following the diagnosis.
Doctors are urging anyone who attended the newly opened arena between the 17th and 25th of January, and have symptoms of the infection, to contact their GP as soon as possible. Symptoms of E.coli include sickness, diarrhoea, stomach cramps and a fever. Even though many E.coli strains are harmless, this particular one can cause serious illness. It is usually spread through eating contaminated food, being in direct contact with an infected animal or through person-to-person contact with an infected individual. In the worst recorded outbreak (1996) 21 people died in Scotland after attending a church lunch in Lanarkshire.
‘Procedures found to be satisfactory’
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said that all foods being sold at the venue are being investigated, while health officers work closely with the vendors to ensure that all hygiene standards are being met. A spokeswoman from The Hydro said:
“The initial review of our caterers’ standard procedures have been found to be satisfactory, and environmental health officers have seen nothing in their processes and practices which concerns them.”
« Drop in compensation claims within teaching profession
Glasgow pothole problems reduced significantly »