Toxic chemical leak at Edinburgh fitness club
Posted: June 20, 2013
Posted in: Industrial Deafness and Disease Workplace Injuries
Virgin Active have been fined a total of £20,000 after a lethal mix of chemicals was released into the Edinburgh fitness club in 2010. Numerous staff from the fitness club had to be taken to hospital after the chemicals leaked into the pool plant room at the Omni Centre.
Even though this room was not accessible to the public, four members of staff had to be taken to hospital as a precautionary measure. A chemical called Polyaluminium Chloride was mistakenly mixed with a swimming pool disinfectant, sodium hypochlorite, which then caused a toxic chlorine gas to form. Virgin Active, who manages the fitness centre, has pleaded guilty to not best following safety regulations. Edinburgh City Council has described the occurrence as terrible management of dangerous substances.
Council don’t think it’s good enough
A Virgin Active spokesman said:
“We did not meet the high safety standards that we set ourselves and, whilst this was a one-off incident, we have taken measures to ensure that it never happens again.”
Despite their apology and promise to better safety standards, Edinburgh City Council still feel that this fine is not a direct reflection of how severe the occurrence was. The mix of chemicals could have had a devastating outcome; it was only luck that prevented this.
Lesley Hinds, the council’s environment convener, said that the responsibilities of a leisure company are vital in providing a safe centre for both the public and staff; she continued by stating: “We will not hesitate to act when our investigations show that this is not the case.”
Have you been injured at work in Aberdeen?
If you’ve suffered a personal injury from an accident in your workplace, you could be entitled to claim compensation. We can help you make a no win, no fee* injury claim today by calling 01224 980 625 or using our contact form. We offer no obligation advice, so there’s nothing to lose by investigating your claim.
« Children at Edinburgh primary school targeted by airgun pellets
Man inhales engine fumes on Edinburgh ship »