Man inhales engine fumes on Edinburgh ship
Posted: June 30, 2013
Posted in: Industrial Deafness and Disease
A man is currently receiving medical attention in hospital after inhaling “dangerous” fumes on a boat in Leith, Edinburgh. The man had been on board the Hirta at Ocean Drive, when an engine leak occurred on the fishing inspection ship. Hirta is one of the fisheries patrol vessels that operates out of Leith.
The engineer had to be taken to hospital after inhaling the gas, which he came into contact with when cleaning on board the ship. It is believed that he was mixing chemicals in the engine room to clean the sewage pipes. The man was then removed from the ship by fire crews and taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
Situation was not life threatening
The incident occurred on Friday just after 15:00 BST near the entrance of the cruise liner: first thoughts were that chlorine gas was involved. The fire service is currently using detecting monitoring equipment to assist in identifying the fumes; they also have three pumps in place, a command support unit and a height platform. Police told media that although the man appeared to be suffering with respiratory problems, the situation was not life-threatening. Cordons have been put up so that an investigation can be carried out and a clean-up can take place.
A member of public, whose home looks over the ship, said: “I know a lot of locals have been concerned about the ships being moored so close to their homes because of the hazards that can be on them and the noise from them”.
Contracted an Industrial Disease in Aberdeen?
If you’ve developed an illness through your workplace, such as a serious lung disease, or a deadly cancer, you could claim compensation. If you or a loved one has suffered from an industrial disease, contact our specialist team on 01224 980 625 to start your claim.
« Toxic chemical leak at Edinburgh fitness club
Fisherman rescued from boat wreckage »